Saturday, May 9, 2015

An Excerpt from Chapter 5 (Intrigue in the Court of Ravendune)

Brandin led Lady Jessica to a secluded
area of the castle which looked out over the gardens. It was quiet and peaceful.

She turned to him, her expression stoic. “Lord Brandin, what do you know of your real father?”

Brandin regarded her with a puzzled expression. “I know almost nothing of my true origins. The priests brought Eric and I to our father when we were but newborns.”

Jessica looked sympathetic, her hand touching his cheek.

“You poor dear, your mother abandoned you...” her voice was soft, sweet. Brandin felt an urge to kiss her but he remembered himself.

“M’lady, you said you know who my real father is, please tell me,” he said, waiting for an answer.

She nodded taking his hands in hers. “Your true father was the father of Duke Armand of
Wolfshire. Your mother was his...mistress. Thus you are Duke Armand’s half-brother,” she explained.

“Armand’s half-brother?” Brandin repeated, disbelieving. “Yes,” she answered. “It is true, when the two of you were born, your mother disappeared with you, knowing you would never be heirs to Wolfshire- since Armand was the
Firstborn. He was the only legitimate son,” she replied.

Brandin felt anger swelling inside him. “Are you saying Eric and I are the bastard sons of the old Duke of Wolfshire?”

Lady Jessica squeezed his hands. “Please forgive me, I meant not to insult you, but I felt you and your brother should know the truth,” she was near to crying.

“My father, Lord Magnus is fearful of Duke Armand. It is said he wishes to be King of Amarcain and will wage war with those who do not support his ambition, she explained further.

“There are those in Wolfshire who would like to see him dethroned, and would welcome the rule of one of the old Dukes’ other sons,” She fell into his arms, sobbing.

“Please do not be angry,” she pleaded. “I swear before all the Gods it is the truth.”

Brandin held her, not knowing what to say. “I’m sorry Lady Jessica, please do not cry. I’m not angry with you.”

He comforted her as best he knew how, wiping the tears from her face. She looked up at him, her eyes full of sorrow. Again he felt the urge to kiss her.

Who is this girl? He wondered, why am I so attracted to her? He looked into her deep blue
eyes; wondering if she was indeed telling him the truth.

“So you are saying that since Ravendune has a surplus of Heir Dukes, that Eric or I should assume the throne of Wolfshire- if Armand is deposed?” he asked summarizing what she had said thus far. Jessica smiled at his sarcasm.

“Yes, that is what many in Wolfshire wish for.”

Brandin sighed, “M'lady, you have given me much to think of. I shall discuss this with my brother. How long will you be in Ravendune?”


Jessica smiled, replying. “I shall be here a few days more.”

No comments:

Post a Comment